Saturday, December 13, 2014

Holiday Gift Guide: Sentimental Gifts

My all-time favorite gift to give are gifts that have memories behind them. The best gift I have ever received was from A for my last birthday, and it was a scrapbook of all of our memories and a mix tape (so many songs, it was broken up into 6+ CDs. One playlist was just songs that were inside jokes between us.

I think sentimental gifts are the best gifts. While material items are great, sentimental items are much more memorable. I think the best gifts should be memorable, sentimental, and let the receiver know that you put a lot of thought into the gift, because you care a lot about them.

Here are some of my favorite sentimental gifts to give:

via
Picture frames are one of my favorite gifts to give. I love the frames with a lot of slots, but if you don't have lots of photos with the person, I love the option of a really pretty frame. 

via
While a little bit more pricey, I love this gift of a photo in a snowglobe. You can even personalize a message to be written on the snowglobe and it plays a song! 


via
Here's a much more affordable (only $12) option! (No song or message, but hey it's a photo in a snowglobe!)


via
I love the idea of giving a book for the holidays. Books are a really personal gift. Make it a gift you think they'd enjoy! It'd be perfect for a future book talk.


via

Key tip: if you want to make the gift really personal, pull a Jess from Gilmore Girls move, and annotate someone's favorite book. Not exactly English-class annotate, but highlighting your favorite quotes and writing in the margins makes a gift so much more personal. H showed me this author on Instagram and I'm a huge fan of his quotes! 

I have never actually done this for a gift, but I think that the books that would work the best would include the recipient's favorite book, poetry, or something with an inside joke or personal connection.


via
Mix tapes are a never-fail gift. What better way to show you care than making a mix tape for someone?!


via
A cute version of friendship Mad Libs, a great way to relive all the memories and even get the chance to include some photos of the memories you discussed in the book!

My favorite DIY ideas include...
  • A scrapbook with letters, photos and everything in between
  • A journal full of letters, pictures and things just for them
  • For the news junkie, a collection of articles that you think they'd find interesting cut and pasted into a journal
  • A book full of quotes, photos and other things that remind you of them (Use Tumblr and Pinterest for inspiration!)
What are your favorite sentimental gifts? Please share your ideas! I'm always looking for more. Let me know if you do any of these ideas and how it ends up!

No comments:

Post a Comment