Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Secret Superhero

There is a very underestimated superhero that many people forget about as they grow older. But there's a magic and healing power associated with this secret superhero that truly never gets old. Books.

Today, A brought me a super belated Christmas present. My fault, as I still haven't found her the perfect gift, and I was telling her that she couldn't give me mine until I got hers. She said that she couldn't wait any longer, and had to get me this. So she dropped it off today at my house (she's seriously such a great friend). 

Inside was a pack of fuzzy socks (seriously fuzzy socks are a lifechanger. If you don't have a pair, go buy them anywhere. Just go buy some!), the cutest mug with a sweater (perfect for hot drinks! And fitting for me as I am sweater obsessed!), a package of hot chocolate mix, and her favorite book: Paper Towns. We talked about it recently and I mentioned that I hadn't read it, and she told me that was going to be my Christmas present. And it was. And truly one of the best presents I've ever received.


I read The Fault In Our Stars before people knew about it and I fell in love with it. It was an amazing book and I was hooked onto John Green. A told me that she preferred Paper Towns, so I had high hopes. When I first started the book, I didn't see the epic love story that would occur, and I thought that maybe it wasn't a love story, I was still intrigued. I kept reading and it turned out to be a heartbreaking, sad, relevant escape from reality. I was fascinated by the Margo Roth Spiegelman, who was fascinating, exciting and adventurous, but there was a whole 'nother side of her that Q discovered. The book truly kept me wanting to find out what happened and how it would all end. 

After finishing the book in 4 hours after receiving it as a gift, I was sad but content. It was a strange feeling. The book truly changed my perspective on life and what's truly important. Just one of the many reasons why it's my new favorite book.

It's an amazing book and I'd definitely recommend reading it! The main thing though is that I forgot the magic of reading books and truly escaping. It's different than TV shows, you just get so emotionally invested and you can picture it all for yourself in your head. Your idea of the book might be totally different than your friend's, the author's, the movie producer's; you get this fantasy and you can truly imagine yourself being there. Books are truly the secret superheroes.

I have now decided that books are probably one of the best gifts to give. While it can be difficult to give books to just anyone, since book preferences are a personal choice, it can truly change one's mood completely. And it gives you something to talk about after the receiver is done reading! I love talking about books with others, especially books like Paper Towns with lots of underlying messages, metaphors and things to think about.

Next on my list is Looking For Alaska, Divergent, Amy Poehler's book, and Where'd You Go, Bernadette? We have a few days off between the semesters, so I'm going to try and get as much reading done when I'm not studying. 

I also learned that I prefer the paper copy rather than the Kindle version. I guess it's easier to cry on pages rather than a screen?

What's on your list? Did you read Paper Towns? What do you think? I'd love to hear your recommendations and thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment