Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Rejection



I have many flaws, but the one that stands out the most is that I'm a worrywart.

I'm always worrying and stressing over something, perhaps it's my need to not fall under expectations, or my fear that I'm not good enough... but I'm always worrying. I don't handle rejection or fear well at all.

Am I the only one? I don't take rejection well. After working so hard for something, (it hurts the most for me when it's something like a job, officer position, etc.) and not getting it, it makes me question everything... "What did I do wrong?", "What could I have done better?", "Why am I not good enough?", and I usually compare myself to the others who got the job, and wonder "What do they have that I don't have?"

This is most definitely not the healthiest response for rejection.

I don't mean to sound snobby or anything, but I haven't had to deal with that much rejection in my life. All the things that I've worked really hard for (officer positions, jobs, etc.), I've gotten. I've been really lucky, but I did apply to jobs that I knew I was prepared for and I worked very hard to prepare for job interviews with my mom.

Since I don't think I'm the only one who has this fear of rejection (hopefully my fear of rejection is greater than yours), here are some tips that I found online* (words are not my own!) to help deal with rejection:
  • Don't get angry. You are likely to feel angry, since you're human and it's hard to not take rejection personally. However, the reason you didn't get the job was probably the result of a variety of factors and not just a fault of yours. (source)
  • Exercise. Though you may not feel like it, hitting the gym or getting outside can help you feel better, especially after you get a rejection letter or call. “It takes about 20 minutes of exercise for the endorphins to start being released in your body,” says Richard Deems, co-author of Make Job Loss Work for You. Endorphins are natural pain and stress fighters produced by your body. The activity will help you clear your head, expend some energy and recharge for the next round. (source)
  • Accept it and move on. Put full steam into the next best opportunity you are working on. (source)
  • Understand That You Aren't Alone: Many more people are turned down for jobs than land them - that's a simple fact. Once you accept that, you can focus on the next opportunity. (source)
I think these tips are all great for healthily dealing with rejection. Rejection is tough. It's nice to talk to a close friend and seek advice. It's nice to go on a run to clear your thoughts. It's nice to write/talk about it. (Like I am right now!)

If you're not sure if you're about to be, don't worry over the fact that you've been rejected, but enjoy the time you still have. If you show how happy you are, your peers will see and notice that. Always be appreciative.

[Side note: While all this post has to deal with rejection with jobs and positions, rejection from friends and crushes also sucks. Just remember what Oprah said: "I don't want anyone that doesn't want me." Take time to appreciate your true friends and spend your time with them, appreciating them instead of being upset over those who rejected you.]

No comments:

Post a Comment