Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Eating Healthy This Summer

This summer, I'm determined to eat healthy. I say this every break, but it never really works. Here are my tips for making this summer different than all of the rest.



Fill your house with healthy food. If you're surrounded by healthy food, you have to eat it. If possible, get rid of as much junk food as possible. You won't be tempted to eat it if you don't see it.

Go grocery shopping. You can go pick the food that you love, whether it's strawberries, avocado, or spinach. I find a way to incorporate avocado and spinach into as many meals as possible because I love it so much. It makes it that much easier to eat healthy.

Find easy recipes you love. The key word is easy. When I'm hungry, I want to eat whatever I can make fastest. Whether it's grabbing a handful of goldfish or microwaving something, I don't want to spend 30 minutes making a nice meal. I love making avocado toast, omelettes, fruit, or peanuts when I want something right away.

Don't go out to eat! When you go out to eat, it's so easy to say "just this one time," and get that ice cream that looks oh so good. Even when you do get a salad, they load it up with dressing and sides. If you do end up going out with friends, eat a snack before going out, and order the smallest portion possible. If possible, look at the nutritional facts before, or weigh pros and cons. If you live somewhere where there isn't much to do (like me), suggest other options like going shopping (walking around the mall is fun!), going to the park, kayaking, going to a painting class, or taking a dance class.

Don't overeat. Did you know by the time you're full, you've already overate? Eat just enough that you're feeling good.

Have a friend do this with you. If you have another friend trying to eat healthy this summer, team up with them! My friend AV is my friend I'm teaming up with this summer. Every time one of us eats something healthy, we send a photo to the other. She sent me a picture of her banana pancakes and I sent her a picture of my omelet.

Make your meals Insta-worthy. Doing this isn't just for Facebook bragging rights, but it also helps you perfect your meal and include more colors (which typically is more fruits). I love sending pics to AV because I add more to my meals. This morning, I was just going to have my omelet. But since I knew I was sending a pic to AV, I added a slice of whole wheat toast, some strawberries, and a glass of skim milk. It tasted much better and I had a complete meal perfect for the rest of the day.

Let your friends know that you're eating healthy. They'll encourage you on when you aren't feeling it, and they'll stop asking if you want to grab froyo for lunch.

Make the switch from soda to sparkling water. If you're a soda addict, switch to sparkling water with some lemon. It still has all of the bubbles you love, but none of the sugar.

Always have water on you. It makes all the difference. If you have a reusable bottle in your car, filled with ice-cold water, you'll be drinking water more than ever. Don't forget to remind yourself to drink water.

Some of my favorite things to eat...

  • Omelet: I personally only like egg whites, but that's just my preference. I add some cheese (I can't cut cheese out of my life sadly), ham, tomatoes, onions, spinach and arugula. I love adding avocado on top and freshly ground pepper. It makes for a great breakfast with a half-slice of whole wheat toast and some fruit.
  • Avocado toast: I have a slice of whole wheat toast with a thin layer of olive oil drizzled over. I mash up some avocados, add chopped tomatoes and freshly ground pepper. I spread the mixture on top of toast. 
  • Greek yogurt: It took me a while to get used to Greek yogurt, but now there's no going back. I love Greek yogurt, especially with some granola or honey mixed in.
  • Nuts: This year at school, I also had a container of peanuts, academia nuts, almonds or walnuts in my bag, they're filling and the perfect snack because they're very healthy and filled with good oils for you.
  • Fruit: I love strawberries, pineapples, peaches, plums... all of it! I typically ask my parents to buy strawberries and they'll buy whatever's in season and stock in the stores. I'm excited to slice up some peaches soon! I eat strawberries whenever I'm hungry.
  • Frozen grapes: If you've never tried frozen grapes, try it! I love love love it. Such a treat.
  • Celery and peanut butter: I'm a huge fan of peanut butter, so there's that.
Do you have any tips on eating healthy? What are some of your favorite healthy things to eat? Anyone have any other habits? My friend RR is going vegetarian this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment