Friday, August 8, 2014

Five on Friday (+ Long Recap!)

What a week! I did most of my APUSH summer assignment and I'm working on finishing that up. I still have a lot of my AP English summer assignment to do (Oh, The Awakening...) I've already created the August Playlist which I'm excited to share with you this month; there are so many new songs and it's on replay all the time now!

On Wednesday, I went back to school to lead a group of freshmen for freshmen orientation. It was so much fun leading the freshmen around and talking about the school. I love talking and leading people; I'm really peppy and get really excited! I'm also really loud and not afraid to be really silly. Thanks Ms. C for giving me the position to lead a group! It was so much fun.

I got the chance to see some of my favorite teachers! Honestly, (don't judge me) I love school. Especially high school. I love forming friendships with my teachers. I'm blessed to go to a school with the most amazing teachers. I've missed them a lot, and it was great to see them and just feel back at home. A lot of the teachers know who J and I from our #TeacherSelfie contest (check out #2!) in May.

J was also helping out with freshmen orientation, and we're in the process of getting our class t-shirts ready. J and I knew we needed to get that show on the road. We met up with Ms. B2 (my pre-calc teacher) who told us that sadly Ms. B (my algebra 2 teacher) wasn't returning to school, as she got a marketing job two weeks ago. Ms. B (algebra 2) did most of the work with prom venue paperwork, so Ms. B2, (who I'll eventually just call Ms. B, but not for this post- too confusing! Even my friends who know these teachers reading these posts get confused...) J and I were uncertain what to do. J and I have never planned a prom before!

After speaking with all of the assistant principals (there's 4 of them), the principal, bookkeeper, we learned a lot about what we needed to do. We met the newest assistant principal, Ms. K, who's now in charge of all the clubs. J and I were a little nervous since we knew Ms. C (the assistant principal who was in charge of clubs previously), but after meeting with Ms. K, we were thrilled. Ms. K is the sweetest lady with the best advice! She felt more like a friend/mentor than a principal. Ms. K was a student council adviser at her old school in the past, so she gave so much help to J, Ms. B2 and I!

In Ms. K's office, we made lots of calls to venues about prices, date availability and what they'd be able to provide us. We wrote down our budget and what each item would cost. Party favors were $4,000 last year... WHAT?! If you think $45 is expensive for a prom ticket, it isn't! J and I can prove it. ;) Ms. K was the sweetest lady with the best advice about student council. J, Ms. B2 and I discussed everything with Ms. K from fundraising to different prom venues. Ms. B (my algebra 2 teacher) was supposed to book the same prom venue they had the previous year at the end of June, but she didn't, with her new job.

However it turned out to be a good thing because we can now look at different prom venues! J and I volunteered at prom last year and we weren't crazy about last year's prom venue or the service.

After spending a good 3 hours discussing t-shirts and prom, we felt much more prepared (but also more nervous). Who knew there was so much to do for an event that was 8-9 months away?! It felt like we were planning a wedding. We have a lot on our plates, but if anyone can handle it, it's J and I. We're so excited for the year with Ms. B2 and Ms. K's help!

Since Ms. B is gone, Ms. B2 wanted another adviser to help us out with prom! Ms. B2 already has so much to do, so there's one teacher who I absolutely adore. He's an English teacher and while I haven't had him, we've met several times because he's friends with Ms. Brown (my AP HuGe teacher) and we've made small talk.

During freshman orientation, he led the "Clubs" portion with another teacher, and he is hilarious! He loves Beyoncé and casually quotes her in his conversation. SO funny! H had him for English and loved him! She told me how much I'd love him if I had him. While I'm sad that I don't have him for AP English this year, I adore my AP English teacher (who I just know I'll love because everyone loves her!). It'd be perfect for me to get to work with him, since he's my fave.

He has always been very active with our STUCO Twitter, and Ms. B2 said he's her first choice as he volunteered to help out with prom last year. J and I shot him an email asking if he'd like to co-advise with Ms. B2... Fingers crossed he says yes!

Can you believe we did that much on Wednesday?! J and I were at school from 7:45am-4pm... crazy!

After working on more STUCO stuff at home while texting J, I went out to dinner at Chipotle with EPP, Kai-D, TD, SS, JG and AV. They're my lunch group at school and I adore them! We went to Chipotle, froyo and Target. (Yes, all we do is go out to eat... I get it!)

Without further ado (sorry long recap but I love to tell y'all the exciting things that happen and Wednesday was just so much fun!)... my Five on Friday!



  1. The Breakfast Club: At dinner on Wednesday, The Breakfast Club was brought up. I mentioned that I'd never seen it. Kai-D and JG insisted that I watch it immediately! On Thursday, I cuddled up in bed with my laptop and watched it. It was an interesting movie, although it was rather sad at some times. It really hit close to home, because it's true, you don't really know everything going on in people's lives. You don't know all of their struggles and stories; it's a nice reminder not to judge others, not to worry about social status, and to be kind to everyone you meet. It was a super cute movie and I loved it! It was truly a classic and it did live up to my expectations. [Side note: I'm heated because Netflix took my favorite movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's, off Netflix. What?!]
    Image via IMDb
  2. Prom: Are you even surprised with my super long recap? The fact that we're already planning prom before school starts is exciting. I love having something to do and I love student council. Making phone calls to venues, planning the budget, talking to others- it's all so much fun! I'm nervous because I really want to plan an amazing prom, but I'm not going to forget to have fun because it's truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'm so excited to be doing this with J and Ms. B2! I'm so thankful for all the help J and I have been given. If you think I'm prom-crazy now, just wait until the spring... ;) The day before prom and the day of prom will be AHHHH! If I don't pull my hair out and everything runs smoothly, it'll be a victory in my book. I just want everyone to have a safe, fun, enjoyable, memorable time. Yay for prom! Yay for student council! Can you tell I'm excited to be back in school? (Minus the work load and craziness... yeah!)
  3. Girls Chase Boys: My new favorite song. I adore Ingrid Michaelson! It's been on replay all day and it's one of the songs on my August playlist. I love the beat and cute lyrics. Girls chase boys chase girls! 
  4. Wacoal: This might be a little strange, but I don't even care. Victoria's Secret Pink bras were flimsy and Victoria's Secret was okay, but not great. After reading lots of blogs, I knew I needed to leave Victoria's Secret behind... My mom suggested Wacoal. While I was hesitant to buy a $60 bra, it is worth it. Wacoal fits better and has the necessary support, especially if you have a larger chest or weird bra size. It took 3 bra fittings from 3 different stores to get the correct size. There's nothing more frustrating than trying on bras that don't fit. Wacoal bras are worth the money. My personal favorite bra is the Wacoal Strapless Bra - Red Carpet #854119. The best part about it is even as a strapless bra, it stays up! It comes with removable straps too.
    Wacoal Strapless Bra - Red Carpet #854119
  5. This IKEA chair: Another random one, but I sit in this chair in my room and it's my all-time favorite chair. I blog from it, read in it and watch movies in it. So comfortable and I love that you can rock back in it! 
    POÄNG



    How was your week? What are your favorites from this week? Stay tuned for lots of blog posts coming soon! I have lots of Back to School themed posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment