Thursday, August 21, 2014

Style: Then vs. Now (Part 1)

I think it's always interesting to see how my style changes as time goes on. From the 7th grade era of Abercrombie graphic tees and Uggs... to my Lilly and monogram obsession (even though I never really had anything monogrammed and just a couple Lilly items!)... to my current J.Crew classics phase.

I believe that everyone has their own 'style', and it's interesting to me that even though I don't identify things as my 'style'... when I'm shopping with friends and I'll point out something I like, they'll be like "That's such a Sam piece." So I guess I have my own 'style', whether I realize it or not.

I was going through my old pins on Pinterest and was looking at how my 'style' evolved as time went on.

Here are some of my older pins, and my take on them now:

via
My take now: One shoulder isn't really my style. It just doesn't work for me, and to me, it's a little too "trendy" and as my mom would say "hip hop" (which in her world means hip/popular). I do like the bow on the sleeve, but I wouldn't consider buying this.

via
My take now: I love the color combination of navy and white. I love stripes. I love bows. But I don't love this dress. I'm pretty sure it's because of the chevron at the top. I would prefer it to be stripes all the way, and perhaps minus the bow on the dress.

via
My take now: So glad I didn't buy a pair of lace shorts because I think lace is overdone nowadays. There are some things that stick rock the lace, but in general, I'm over it.

via
My take now: I have always loved the color combination of white and gold. This ivory and gold combo is perfect. I still love embroidery and the perfect amount of sparkle, which this dress provides. [Side note: When I was in 5th grade, all the guys were obsessed with cars. I decided then that my dream car was a white Ferrari with gold polka dots. True story.]

via
My take now: Back when my interest in patterned blouses started... these blouses are personally too see-through for me (I hate having to wear a cami underneath them!) and too casual. Maybe it's the collar, plus the area for the roll up sleeves, the color combination, the pattern... I would never consider buying this now.

via
My take now: Again, glad I never bought anything with lace. And never went with the bodycon look. I've never been a fan of bodycon, personally because I have a stomach... but still. No. I would never even glance at this nowadays.

via
My take now: Note to my middle school self: Don't buy anything with the name of the brand written on it and nothing else. PS: Don't try to dress like the celebrity you're crushing on. And don't wear anything with their faces on it. (Liam Payne, One Direction, anyone?)

via
My take now: If I had told middle school me that high school me got these shoes, I'm pretty sure I'd be dreaming. Still love them so so much. I want a pair in brown! (After riding boots and a nice camera and a nice bag... but I still want them!)

via
My take now: I love buttondowns, just not the cotton buttondowns... with the oversized pockets that take up 90% of the shirt... no thanks.

via
My take now: Also another note to middle school self, don't get everything Coach labeled. Especially this swimsuit... that's taking it a bit too far. Same with the Michael Kors to everyone in the world. Nope. I'm also not the biggest fan of LV bags because of all their labeling.

via
My take now: This dress is just as gorgeous as it was the first time I pinned it. I'm in love and I want it. What a gorgeous shift! I've always loved shades of white/cream.

via
My take now: So glad I didn't buy a pair of lace shorts. I think the moral of this story is to not buy anything that's "cool" in middle school. Yep.

That's just Part 1! I'll make a Part 2 if you guys enjoyed this post and seeing my old "style." I'll add some newer style photos and give my take on it now as well! 

*Disclaimer: Don't think I'm bashing on these outfits! I adored them at one point, and they're still cute- just not for me and my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment