Thursday, July 31, 2014

"You're a Wizard, Harry!"

Image via Amazon
In honor of Harry Potter and J.K Rowling's birthdays today (July 31st, I'm just typing this really late)... today is the perfect day for a Harry Potter appreciation post.

My best friend in the whole wide world, MNR and I met in kindergarten. We went to the same elementary school. In 2nd grade, she started reading the Harry Potter books. I didn't really know what Harry Potter was, and I preferred other books, so we didn't really talk about Harry Potter. (PS: Yes, reading HP in 2nd grade... She is one of the most intelligent girls I know and she loves to read!)

In 3rd grade, everyone started reading Harry Potter and MNR had started reading the 5th book. She told me that I just had to start the Harry Potter series. Everyone seemed to love the series, so I decided to give it a try. I fell in love with the magical world of Hogwarts and fell in love with the idea of receiving a Hogwarts acceptance letter (every little girl's dream, right?). I don't think I ever loved a book so much.

As we went to 4th grade, MNR and I were in the same class with the coolest teacher ever, Ms. M. She did a cartwheel every time everyone turned in their homework, and she got us free Jibbitz since her daughter worked at Crocs (Crocs were the coolest shoes in the world back in 4th grade. Side note: I got a light up Tinker Bell jibbit- talk about awesome!). Ms. M was a huge Harry Potter fan and we actually read Harry Potter in 4th grade, since she was such a fan of the book. We even had a Harry Potter Day complete with a Hogwarts feast, potions class (with dry ice, of course), a sorting hat which divided us into different houses, and we all dressed up as Harry Potter characters! I was Cho Chang (since I was Asian...) and MNR was Hermonie. It was one of my favorite memories of elementary school, and that's saying something since my elementary school had the best activities! It was a very elaborate day and the entire classroom was transformed to Hogwarts. Ms. M was dressed up as Professor McGonagall.

I remember getting the 7th Harry Potter book before it was officially released! I took these fun science activity classes and my family had became close friends with the lady who taught them. She owned the cutest science store where we took the classes. She knew a book publisher who got some copies early so I bought my copy from her! It was crazy to me that I could get a book before it was officially released... coolest feeling ever! I still remember the main question I was thinking before I read the last book "Was Snape good or bad?"

Lots of my childhood memories are associated with Harry Potter, and even now, Harry Potter is still a part of my life. My little brother is starting to get into the books (finally!), since his class has some Harry Potter themes incorporated. We started watching the movies on the drive home from Canada and he's really into it.

I still haven't made my way to Harry Potter World, but I'm pretty sure, once my brother reads all the books, we'll be making a trip down to Florida. I love this Buzzfeed article about hidden gems in the latest section of Harry Potter World- Diagon Alley.

Does anyone else remember these videos? They were the thing in middle school!

Snape... Snape... Severus Snape!

My friend A is the biggest fan of Harry Potter. The biggest. Go against her in Harry Potter Quizup, chances are you'll lose. I was talking with ALD and she hasn't read Harry Potter yet, but she's thinking of starting the series. It just goes to show that there's something about Harry Potter that makes it timeless... the dynamic characters, the amazing location and unique storyline. 

To "The Boy Who Lived!"

Happy birthday Harry and to the mastermind behind the wonderful world of Harry Potter, J.K Rowling!


PS: Also a happy birthday shout-out to my sweet friend in elementary school who's also friends with MNR and me... AF. I hope you have the best day! I trust and value your opinions like no other. Thanks for always teaching me something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment