Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Talent Show

This post is long overdue. So sorry! The talent show took place last Thursday.

I'm the VP of student council for my grade. The talent show is one of the events that student council hosts. It is so much fun, and the turnout is always great. Unfortunately, my school doesn't have a lot of school spirit, so student council really has to advertise the show! We, as student council, made a class Twitter to tweet out student council events. The president, J and I became marketers (is that the correct word for a person who is marketing?) for the week prior to the talent show. We had a blast! I have a passion for marketing, advertising and social media, so it was really fun!

J and I got to live tweet the show too! We tweeted commentary (all positive) about each act! (ex: after a girl sang, we tweeted: "Watch out world! @/Girl's Twitter Username/ will sell out MSG in the future!" We tweeted photos of some of the performances... J and I had so much fun!

Next year, if we are elected president & VP again, we will get to MC the show! We get to introduce each act and be the hosts to the show... we would love nothing more! J is the best president ever, and we are always texting ideas we have for student council. (Don't have any pictures of J & I together; he's not big on pictures. We will have to get one before the year ends!)

I love student council; the fact that we are actually making a difference in the school is amazing! We are really making an effort to get all the kids in our grade involved with the school. I think it's working too; we've had lots of input about the student council events, and we've had a lot of kids interested in student council next year because of our Twitter and advertising!

Back to the talent show...

Our student council advisor, GOB, stressed the importance of getting students to come out to the talent show. The talent show was on a Thursday night, and the day afterwards (a Friday) was supposed to be a half day of school, and that Monday was the first day of our spring break. However, because we had so many snow days (aka cancelled school days), the school system made the Friday a full day of school instead of a half day. All the teachers had to reschedule their curriculum and lesson plans because of the snow days. (My math midterm even got cancelled because there wasn't enough time for us to take it!) Unfortunately, since Friday became a full day, there were many tests scheduled for Friday. (I know there was a pre-calc test, APES test, and a chemistry test [and chemistry had a midterm the day before!] This is all I know from my friends... there were probably many more tests!) The fact that the talent show was on a school night discouraged many people from attending the talent show... which sucked. J & I were really nervous about the turnout, especially after GOB told us that he had only sold 9 tickets the first day tickets were for sale. J & I determined that next year, when we are in charge of the talent show (as long as we get elected as next year's officers!) we will make sure that the talent show is on a Friday, and not as close to spring break. We are planning, so we can get many kids to show up. ;)

Regardless of the obstacles, many kids showed up to the talent show. We weren't close to a full house, but at least 85% of the auditorium was filled! We were delighted with the turnout.

J & I also had the responsibility of collecting the votes from the judges, at the end of the show. The judges were three staff members at our school: a history teacher, assistant principal, and science teacher. J & I even got to walk across the stage to hand the votes to the MCs! It was our "5 seconds of fame." We were delighted to have our "5 seconds of fame." ;)

The acts were amazing, and the kids all had a great time! Many kids from my grade performed, which was really exciting! J & I had a blast live tweeting the show. It was so much fun! Acts included: Indian dancing, piano playing, electronic music, stand up comedy, singing, and dancing.

Some of my favorite acts were:

  • An exchange student from China performing a mixture of dance and kungfu; the second part of his act was him jamming out to "Party in the USA" while carrying an American flag. It really got the crowd excited, and it was so cute!
  • My close friend JBS (mentioned in my Five on Friday and Outfits of the Week posts) played the piano and sang a slow version of Clarity. He was amazing, and his voice is love. (Confession: I might or might not almost teared up at the end of his performance!)
  • A trio of special education students dancing to Katy Perry's "Roar;" they were sassy and showed off their moves! I got the chance to complement their awesome dance afterwards, and they were the sweetest! One of the girls got up and hugged me, and they all sincerely thanked me.
  • One girl sang and played the piano to the popular song "Let It Go," from the infamous Disney movie "Frozen."
  • One girl performed a stand up comedy act, "I'm So White," let's just say she talked about Snapchat best friends, Twitter when there's a chance of snow, while taking sips from her Starbucks. ;)
  • The act before intermission was an upperclassman boy who I never knew sang... he was insane! He sang Usher's Climax, and that was my first time hearing the song. I fell in love with his voice and the song. Superstar in the making! (mentioned in my Five on Friday post)
  • Two boys in my grade beatboxed and rapped together. One of them, RY, was in my Spanish class last semester, he was super nice but never rapped for us in Spanish; I was so excited to hear RY rap! He was amazing. His friend BM beatboxed like there was no tomorrow! Their act was something I could never do... it was so cool! People referred to RY as the next Kenny G. from Mean Girls; he looks like Kenny G. too! 
  • A senior girl danced, and she was awesome! It was obvious she had lots of experience. She has received a scholarship for dance, and it was evident through her dancing. She was the winner of the talent show.
  • RC, the sweetest boy in my grade, has Asperger Syndrome, was really excited to play the piano. He played *NSYNC's "Bye Bye Bye" on the piano. GOB (student council advisor) mentioned that RC was nervous during dress rehearsal and had to restart a couple times, but when he played, it was amazing! I was really excited for RC to perform because I knew how excited he was. He did awesome! 
  • The sweetest girl in my pre-calc class sang and danced to a Demi Lovato song. (I can't remember which one! Ah!) She was an amazing singer and an even better dancer. She ended up winning runner-up to the talent show.
Overall, it was an awesome night! It was one of the best nights in a while. I love school events, like the talent show, homecoming week & game, and freshman orientation. (which I'm hoping to lead next year, as a student ambassador! More details later, I need to learn more about the club first, haha.)

My fave, AJ.
He performed in the talent show and played the violin to "Gigue" by Veracini,
He was amazing!
Above is us acting silly, as usual,
We were accidental twinning with his pink bow tie and my pink shorts,
It made for a great photo!

Left to right: my bff H, me, JBS
We met in health class freshman year,
We were on the same volleyball team,
And during our volleyball break,
I recognized that JBS was in my math class
And I didn't know anyone else.
H and JBS knew each other from elementary school,
So they were sitting and talking with each other,
I asked if I could sit with them.
Turns out H, JBS and I were all taking geometry at the time,
5 minutes of ranting about geometry later...
The rest is history.
H & I are JBS' biggest fans. We love him!

Attending the show was totally worth it. Even if I didn't study enough for my pre-calc test... the test with the grade I still haven't checked... but that was my fault, not the talent show's. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment